The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Friday 11 September 2009
Against all good advice, I began my WH colonization a short while ago with a small POS in a fairly depleted Class 1 system with a regular connection to hi-sec. In an ideal world, I would have began my burgeoning career in a system tucked far away from a hi-sec entry, that was brim full of rich pickings with the support of at least a medium tower.



Alas, financial and skill restrictions limited me to the situation I found myself in. Nonetheless, I felt confident that I could set up base and begin my career in this system if only for a few weeks before I found the need to pack-up and scout out a new home.



A few days in and already it's been a blast!



The Good: The sites that I've completed have proven to be largely profitable. I've ran around 10 combat sites thus far, acquiring enough melted nano-ribbons to pay for the initial up-keep and fuel requirements. Several magnetometric and ladar sites have also been fruitful, although my limited mining skills has restricted the potential profit that could be had from the many gravimetric sites that occupy the system.



The Bad: The hi-sec static WH does indeed lead to a lot of tourists and predators. Naturally, this acts to stifle any activity that I've been involved with, pushing down hourly profits. Furthermore, having only a small POS removes any possibility of processing any gas or ore that are harvested, making regular jumps to hi-sec a necessity. This situation was expected though, and makes me even more determined to push on with my future aspirations.



The Ugly: 2 days ago my system opened up to a very busy section of hi-sec. Summer had truly arrived as it seemed my system became packed with visitors. I scanned down 1 scanning frig and duly sent him home packing. However, a short while later I picked up on a retriever mining in one of the grav sigs. My carebear tendencies presented me with a tricky situation - do I let him be, happy to share the bountiful ore that was present in the system, or do I hunt him down in a show of resistance?
I opted for the latter, and duly dispatched the lone miner. However, as I was salvaging the remains, I myself became the prey for a group of hunters who treated me with the same disdain as I myself had shown the miner. My pod also failed to survive intact, and I awoke in a clone truly dazed.

Perhaps next time I should attempt peaceful negotiations with any lone miners in the system, happy to share the risk of being the victims of any rogue packs? Food for thought certainly, and I'd be very happy to hear from fellow WH pilots on their thought regarding miner tourists.

0 comments:

Post a Comment